- Look near the top right-hand corner of the Internet browser screen. Chances are you see something similar to the image below.
- That is a Google search engine search box, built into your Internet browser.
- In that box, type in define: then the word that you would like defined. See below.
- Hit enter.
- A Google search results page pops up with multiple definitions to choose from.
- In about 30 seconds you've gone from staring blankly at a strange word to finding a suitable definition to understanding your new word in context. Brilliant!
And in case you are curious.... Elegiac: expressing sorrow often for something past; "an elegiac lament for youthful ideals" (taken from wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn)